We had quite a few requests to remove tags/retag:
- Tags that start with quantum - ideas?
- Should the [quantum-computing-models] tag be used in this question?
- Please rename [tag:error-correction] to [tag:quantum-error-correction]
- Do we need [error-correction] of the [fault-tolerance]?
- Should the tags 'qubit-state' and 'qubit' be merged?
- Do we want questions or a tag about "mythology"?
- Why is there a <quantum-computer> tag?
But there have also been some protests against some users removing tags from/retagging questions without prior meta consensus:
- Should people reject edits on a thing, because they don't like the thing?
- Should we micromanage tags, or should we leave them be?
These protests have not been well received, because they were rather direct/attacking but their spirit is correct. It is not recommended to singlehandedly remove a tag (in the context of SE).
Other sites (for example StackOverflow) have developed a codex/guidelines for this process of tag removal (commonly called burnination)
What shall our rules for reaching a meta consensus before removing a tag/retagging be?